New year, new you?

Alyssa Pearson

More stories from Alyssa Pearson

Dear Etowah…
April 19, 2022

“New year, new me” is easier said than done. Students at Etowah have different resolutions including going to the gym, being nicer to siblings, or relaxing more often. Only three weeks into the new year, some students are already finding it difficult to stick to their resolutions. 

“I’m struggling a little bit because I have a heavy workload that I need to keep up with,” Ivy McKinney, freshman, said. 

Others are determined to follow through with their goals. Sophomore Abby Higgs’s resolution is to #lovelikeREED, a movement remembering the life of Etowah sophomore Reed Schonberger. 

“I have not found it difficult because I feel really motivated by soccer and school to keep on trying to become better,” Higgs said. 

For people who made resolutions, using strategies to stay on track is helpful. For example, one junior has his own way of focusing on his resolution throughout the year. 

“I keep the thought of accomplishing my resolution in the back of my head all day,” William Beary said. 

In contrast, some students at Etowah are slacking with keeping their motives this year. 

“I didn’t make a New Year’s resolution this year because I didn’t feel like it,” Tanner Allen, freshman, said. 

The variety of resolutions at Etowah range from the basic, like eating healthier or the more personal, like making the varsity baseball team. 

“My New Year’s resolution was to finish these last couple of months strong because I need to graduate,” Haven Lawhon, senior, said. 

Struggling or thriving, students at Etowah have different ways of taking on 2019. After all, no one said it would be easier.