A winter comeback

Alina Frederick

More stories from Alina Frederick

The college hunt
April 29, 2021

Strap on your heels, and straighten your bow ties because for the first time in three years, on Jan. 26, Etowah is having a dance that all students can attend. 

“I’m very excited to dress up and have a good time with my friends. I didn’t get to attend many homecomings growing up, so I can’t wait to go,” Sarah Mahoney, sophomore, said. 

This year’s student government has been working to host a semi-formal school dance for Etowah students. In the past, students voiced concerns about the school not having a dance that freshmen and sophomores could attend.  

“I think that the winter formal is an amazing opportunity for underclassmen who cannot go to prom to get out and have a great night with all of their friends while making fun memories,” Sadie Brooks, freshman, said.  

Administration agreed to let students have a winter semi-formal dance this January to see if it would be successful enough for a homecoming dance in the fall.  

“I think this dance will be a great opportunity to show that we should have a homecoming dance from now on at Etowah,” Alec Blanchard, junior, said. 

Tickets to the dance are on sale in the cafeteria from Jan. 21-25 for $10 each. Tickets will not be sold at the dance, so those planning to attend must purchase tickets in advance. So far, 350 have been sold, but there is an estimated guess of 500 by the day of dance. The event will be held in the Ormond Anderson gym from 7 p.m.-10 p.m.