AirPods to Etowah

More stories from Jazz Sturdivant

During the first few days back from winter break, many students try and one-up each other with tales of expensive vacations and overpriced presents . However, it is difficult to show off when many other students are wearing the same AirPods. This January, many students returned to campus wearing Apple’s wireless headphones.

“They’re nice because they don’t get caught on anything or get tangled,” Kylie Jones, sophomore, said.

AirPods were made to go with the iPhone 7, the first iPhone without a headphone jack, but they can be used on any Apple product. Besides listening to music, one can activate Siri by simply double tapping on the AirPod. Built-in microphones allow the user to talk to Siri without even touching the phone.

“I use my AirPods to listen to music and answer calls,” Cameron Parks, freshman, said.

AirPods are harder to confiscate than regular earbuds because it is now more difficult to tell whether a student is wearing one or two AirPods. Principal Robert Horn made the “one in one out” rule with the intent to keep students aware of their surroundings while still listening to music. Students could wander into dangerous situations with earbuds in because they may not hear anyone telling them to stop.

“I’ve noticed that a lot more are trying to have their headphones [earbuds] in when they’re not supposed to, and it’s harder to see and harder to manage,” Danae Vance, math teacher, said.

AirPods can be helpful for a variety of activities. Whether it is exercising on the track or working on classwork, AirPods will provide tangle-free music. However, spending $70 to replace one can make someone hesitate before pressing the purchase button.  If a pair of AirPods is being shared, make sure not to get the cords tangled–oh wait.