‘Bird Box’: A Netflix original

More stories from Laurel O'Brien

Fresh on the success of its original movie, “Bird Box,” which set a record 45 million views in its first week, Netflix announced this week it is raising its prices by 13 to 18 percent.  

Students who subscribe to Netflix will have to pay a few dollars more per month to continue watching their favorite shows. Over the recent holiday break, many Etowah students were among those to watch the movie with friends and family.  

“I watched it with my friends over break and didn’t think it was that scary. I also think it is a little overrated,” Lauren Saale, sophomore, said.  

Bird Box” tells the story about a disease affecting people who look into the eyes of those who have it. Once infected, they experience painful memories from the past that lead them to take their own lives.   

Along with watching this movie, some viewers are mimicking the movie’s characters by doing the #BirdBoxChallenge. This challenge consists of putting on a blindfold and attempting to perform everyday tasks without being able to see. 

“I did the #BirdBoxChallenge to embrace the feelings of the character of the movie and feel what she felt as I played soccer,” Brandon Gomez, sophomore, said. 

This movie has left some people scared while others are confused because the ending is mysterious and leaves many with unanswered questions.  

“After I finished watching ‘Bird Box,’ I was left thinking that all of that could happen in our society,” Billy Hendrix, freshman, said.  

As Netflix continues to create more content, social media users are waiting for Netflix’s next original.