Time to sign

More stories from Erin Whalen

Uggs: Yea or nay?
December 19, 2018

As the class of 2019 heads towards its last semester at Etowah, seniors are figuring out their next steps for where they will be next fall. Five student athletes have poured their sweat and tears into the sport they love, and it has finally paid off. 

These student athletes will head to college while continuing their athletic career. Justin Sherrer has signed with the University of Maryland on a lacrosse scholarship.  

“It was a big relief and a very exciting day. My recruiting process was long, and it consisted of switching schools and committing later than I anticipated. I am glad it is over, and I am glad that Maryland will be my home for the next four years,” Sherrer said. 

Soccer player, Brianna Garcia, has committed to Tusculum College in Tennessee to continue her passion.  

“I am really excited to be able to continue playing the sport I love at a great school that will allow me to prosper academically,” Garcia said. 

Bryant Madden will play baseball at Chattanooga State. 

“It felt good to finally have it set in stone and know all of the hard work paid off,” Madden said. 

Madden will recognize at least one college teammate from Etowah, Ryan Lobus, another athlete headed to Tennessee.  

“I am most excited to live in a big city and get the opportunity to play baseball every day. I am also excited to meet new people,” Lobus said. 

Taylor Sawdy will play volleyball closer to home. She committed to Reinhardt University in Waleska. 

“Going into senior year, I was not planning on playing volleyball in college until I became closer with the Reinhardt coach. Just the idea of having a family who shares the same passion with me for the next four years was incredible and something I could not pass up,” Sawdy said.  

Most student athletes do not continue competing in college, but the few who do have gone through immense training to get there. Congratulations to these five Eagles as they leave our playing fields and head to their new homes next fall.