• December 7Go out and support Etowah basketball during their games tonight!

• December 4Come see the Dancing Eagles during halftime at the Varsity basketball games this Friday!

Winter Guard going hard

Jazz Sturdivant

More stories from Jazz Sturdivant

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Guard going hard

As winter brings the cold, Etowah’s Winter Guard brings the heat. After placing second last season, Winter Guard continues to remain competitive.   Winter Guard is the indoor equivalent of Color Guard. Color Guard performs alongside the marching band by throwing flags, rifles, and sabres. Unlike Color Guard, Winter Guard does not have an affiliation with the band, so they are free to choose their own songs. Their audience is closer and can focus more on the performance.  

“You get to see people’s reactions, and you actually get to hear them scream for you and cheer you on,” Page Cormany, guard instructor, said.

The Winter Guard is keeping its theme a secret while practicing new tosses and skills for the routine.   

“The hardest part is definitely starting off and learning new things because you aren’t used to them yet,” Riley Warren, freshman, said.   

The team has five competitions between February 1 and March 30. Last year, Etowah’s guard ended the season by placing second in the regional competition.

“The level of excellence went up dramatically last winter, and this fall, it has continued to rise as well,” Stephen Long, band director, said.  

Winter Guard tryout results were released over Thanksgiving, and practices start next week. Good luck to Winter Guard members in their new season.

About the Writer
Jazz Sturdivant, Reporter/Photographer

I’m sorry the old Jhene can’t to the phone right now. Why? Because she’s watching Vampire Diares.