• December 7Go out and support Etowah basketball during their games tonight!

• December 4Come see the Dancing Eagles during halftime at the Varsity basketball games this Friday!

Stepping into college

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz de Leon

Senior: Diana Garcia
December 3, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

Stepping into college

Applying to college can be a difficult task, considering the process is stressful and lengthy. Each year, students face new deadlines and more expectations. Applying is more than merely sending transcripts and waiting for acceptance letters, but it is important for students to keep their stress levels low.

‘’I try not to focus on the things that stress me out, but I feel like it’s not good for those that do focus on those things,’’ Kayden Lewis, junior, said.

Students should start by choosing how many colleges they want to apply to. Splitting schools into different categories can help a student decide where to apply. These categories include: a dream school, a target school, and a safe school. Once students have done this, they need to fill out an online application and pay a fee. Students can apply early, and their applications are prioritized as they are the first ones in. Students also get their acceptance letter faster when they apply earlier. Some colleges bind their early applicants if they get accepted, meaning they have to go to that school and do away with other college applications.

‘’I have applied to numerous schools in the hope that I can get in to one of them. I think it’s important to have various options,’’ Nikki Reid, senior, said.

After completing the application, students should apply for financial aid. The easiest way to do this is to go on the FAFSA website, create an account, and input financial  information. Next, students should send required documents, like transcripts and standardized test scores, which can be sent through the College Board website, to their desired college. Students can receive their transcript from their school counselor and/or  send transcripts to colleges from the Georgia Futures website.  https://www.gafutures.org/

‘’My counselors have been really helpful by providing transcripts and aiding me with SAT and ACT scores,’’ Cinthia Achingui, senior, said.

Finally, students should send any miscellaneous documents. Some colleges require a teacher or counselor recommendation sheet, and other schools, mainly schools that deal with creative careers, require students to turn in a portfolio as a part of the application process. Most colleges require a written essay in order to get to know students on a personal level.

‘’College essays are really daunting for me. I feel like when I’m writing some, they are the most important thing and I cannot make a mistake or else. But I know that if I just focus, it’ll be alright,’’ Jackson Pawlan, senior, said.

While all these steps may be difficult to complete, students do not have to do it alone. There are various apps and websites that help students apply for college, such as The Common Application, a website that undergraduate students can use to apply to more than 700 colleges and universities.

https://www.collegeboard.org/

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa

https://www.commonapp.org/

About the Writer
Tania Diaz de Leon, Reporter

I was born on December 23, 2000. I have a great passion for reading and writing. I love the way people have with words and live for moments of excitement....