• November 15Go support the Shop With An Eagle program at the dodgeball tournament tomorrow!

• November 15Congrats to all Etowah senior signees!

• November 10Congrats to the Aquaeagles on their first place win at the relay meet!

Hearts beating for HOSA

Laurel O’Brien

More stories from Laurel O'Brien

#TURKEYSZN
November 16, 2018

As students walk across the Etowah campus, they may see some of their peers wearing scrubs. These students are not going through a “Grey’s Anatomy” phase; they are actually a part of Etowah’s Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) club.  HOSA is a club for students who have an interest in pursuing a career in the medical field. This year, Megan King, healthcare teacher and HOSA club advisor, plans to do more activities to help out the community.  

“HOSA members share the same desire in helping the community through healthy living and through our school,” Abby Allen, sophomore HOSA officer, said.  

HOSA typically meets once a month, where they plan to become better health advisors and learn more about what they love. This year’s officers: senior Kaylie Cofield, junior Jenna Doran, sophomores Maggie Bradley, Giavonna Gonzelas, and Allen, lead meetings by delivering presentations for HOSA members.  

“Our officers get up, and they have a PowerPoint of different activities and things that are going on that month just to keep people updated,” King said.  

HOSA members will show what they have learned and experienced throughout the year by going to the State Leadership Conference (SLC) in March. At the conference, HOSA students will choose from a variety of topics but only compete in one. If students do well, they can place in the International Leadership Conference (ILC) which involves students all around the world.  

“SLC and ILC prep takes so much work. It is so tiring, but it sure does pay off when you get to walk across the stage at ILC. I can’t wait to compete again this year,” Cofield said.  

As the year progresses, HOSA will continue to learn more about the medical field, and new members will start their path towards their desired careers.  

About the Writer
Laurel O'Brien, Reporter

Hey, I’m Laurel O’Brien and this is my first year on staff. I have heard many great things about this class and I am very excited to take it. I love...