Falling for fall break

More stories from Erin Whalen

Uggs: Yea or nay?
December 19, 2018

Fall break may already be a memory, but students are anticipating Thanksgiving break. It is only four weeks away. 

From Sept. 15 to 23, Cherokee County schools were out for fall break. Etowah students packed up their bags and headed towards adventure. In just one week, students had many fun experiences, visiting exotic places and experiencing new activities.  

Maggie Messerly, junior, visited Orange Beach with Bryant Madden, senior. They spent most of their week on the beach but also ate out at restaurants and shopped. 

“It was an awesome time spent with family and friends. I could seriously just hang out on the beach all day and do nothing else,” Messerly said. 

Messerly also experienced many funny moments while on the beach that she will always remember. 

“We were just sitting on the beach, and we saw a kid trying to jump over a stream of water in front of the ocean. He face planted, and we could not stop laughing. He was laughing too, though, so it is okay,” Messerly said.  

Colby Flaig, sophomore, visited Exuma, Bahamas, with two sophomores from Cherokee High School. The white sand beaches of Exuma  are home to many creatures that the boys got to see. 

“I had a lot of fun over fall break. I swam with pigs, fed Bahamian rock iguanas, pet stingrays, and held starfish,” Flaig said.  

Sadie Brooks, freshman, stayed home for fall break this year, but she says she still had a great week. 

“Yes, the beach is fun, but I had a really good time with my friends and family at home. I had plenty of lake days, which are some of my favorite days of the year,” Brooks said. 

After all these adventures, Etowah students are back to business, but Thanksgiving break is not as far away as it seems. Farewell fall break; welcome holiday season.