• November 15Go support the Shop With An Eagle program at the dodgeball tournament tomorrow!

• November 15Congrats to all Etowah senior signees!

• November 10Congrats to the Aquaeagles on their first place win at the relay meet!

Putting the ‘we’ in memes

Garrett Estes

More stories from Garrett Estes

On social media, people say and do things they would never do in their ordinary lives. This is because technology can create a feeling of empowerment and connectivity that some may not normally possess.  In the age of information, social media can also bring people together in a way that was not previously possible.

“[Social media] is a good platform to communicate with your friends, meet new people, and discover new hobbies,” Roxie Riley, freshman, said.

Many have scrolled through favorite social media platforms on a sour day only to smile at a meme they find and enjoy.  It could be that it was something relatable, or maybe it was one’s style of humor, but it is good to know someone is on your side. Some people may feel this connection with someone they have never known because of what they share.  

“I will always be a meme. #MemelikObameme,” Malik Obama (@ObamaMalik) tweeted on Sept. 15, 2017.

In a way, it is basic human nature to tweet, post, snap, and everything in between. It fulfills the human desire to express ourselves and receive attention or praise from others.  That is why people love it because it brings its users closer to each other.

About the Writer
Garrett Estes, Reporter/Editor

You know the kind of guy who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why his life sucks? Well, that was me. Every time something good happened to...