Stand up 2 walkout

May 2, Etowah High School students led a walk-out to show their support for the Constitution and Bill of Rights. It took place in the new gym from 3:00 p.m. to 3:16 p.m.

“I knew I wanted to help because I fully support the Second Amendment along with the rest of the Constitution,” Kylie Jones, freshman, said.

This event was student-led, run by freshmen  Nicole Martin and Jones. Freshmen Korbin Roberson, Emilie Dudgeon, and Noah Sherman, among others helped at the event.

“I believe in the right that we have as students to participate in a political assembly for our rights,” McKenzie Spindler, senior, said.

Students who attended the assembly were not academically penalized for leaving seventh period before the end of class.

“The people really enjoyed hearing the rights. The presentation on how they did it was very good. It was nice to hear,” Art De Piña, sophomore, said.

The speakers of the event went through each amendment in the Bill of Rights individually. Student leaders passed out stickers, small American flags, and copies of the Constitution.

“The March For Our Lives students mentioned on social media that they will also pass out buttons from their walkout on March 14th, so I asked them if they wanted to read the First Amendment with us,” Martin said.

Freshman, Maya Gibbins, and sophomore, Eli Hughes, decided to read the First Amendment with Martin and Jones to show that although there are many political views, the majority of high schoolers support the First Amendment rights.

“Eli and I are both big advocates of common sense gun legislation. We both believe that the Second Amendment should be upheld, and we wanted a way to show that we believe in both of these things,” Gibbins said.

According to the Tea Party Patriots, a conservative American political organization, Etowah was the only high school in Cherokee County to participate in this nationwide walk-out, and had one of the biggest turn outs in the country. The speakers invited students to write letters to senators and school board members to show their support and voice their opinion for Constitutional rights. Contact [email protected] for guidance.