Streaming not available

Many students use the online streaming service, Netflix, to binge-watch shows, but some wonder why content is constantly being removed.  

“I do not think that the Netflix company should take off shows because if someone was in the middle of a show, they would be very mad if their show got taken off,” Adam Richards, junior, said.  

Netflix is hugely popular among most people. It offers many different shows and movies that can be geared to all different ages, but some of the shows have been removed from the service.  

“I was in the middle of watching the show ‘Lost,’ and I did not watch it for about a month. Then I went to go finish the show, and it was taken off,” Bailey Cantrell, freshman, said.  

According to the Netflix Help Center, Netflix has licenses with content providers from around the world, and the licenses can expire if Netflix does not renew them.  

“The shows I watch on Netflix have never been removed, but if they decided to remove my show, I would be very upset,” Jacson Fleming, sophomore, said.  

The Netflix Help Center also said it strives to keep the content people want to see, but it acquires licensing rights for TV shows and movies for a certain period of time, not indefinitely, so some titles will be taken off periodically.  

“Two of the shows I watched got cancelled after one or two seasons, so I cancelled my membership with Netflix,” Nick Porubiansky, junior, said.  

Before Netflix renews shows, it considers these factors: whether the rights to renew the licensing to stream are still available, what is the popularity and cost of a particular title, and are there other seasonal or localized factors?  

“The show ‘Everything Sucks’ was not taken off, but they cancelled the show after one season, ” Jaylen Vinson, freshman, said.  

So, if a student’s favorite show was taken off Netflix, there could be a chance it could come back, but it may also be gone forever.