• October 17Congrats Etowah scholars on their Lamp of Knowledge recognition!

• October 15Tryouts for Etowah's basketball team start October 22nd

• October 15Good luck to Etowah volleyball during the 1st round of their state tournament!

Successful seasons

Amanda Conklin

More stories from Amanda Conklin

Etowah’s winter guard and middle school cadet guard traveled to Tennessee for their final competition as spring break came to an end. Etowah Winter Guard received second out of 32 groups in Novice class, one of the competitive high school divisions. Etowah Cadet Guard placed fourth in Cadet B class, a competitive middle school classification.  

“I was really overwhelmed and so proud. The girls put in so much time and energy into the show. It was incredible to see all that hard work really paid off,” Abby Ammons, director of both guards, said. 

The McKenzie Arena on the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga campus hosted the 2018 Southern Association of Performing Arts (SAPA) Championship. The arena was packed full of parents, siblings, and members of other guards. The parents of Etowah Winter and Cadet Guard members also received cardboard cutouts of their child’s face to cheer them on.  

“They [cardboard cutouts] were so funny, and I loved them. All our parents are so supportive and provide a great atmosphere at competitions,” Ciara Grace Casperson, freshman, said.    

Etowah’s guard program was successful thanks to the many people involved. Abby Ammonds, director, and Page Cormany, assistant director, wrote the drill and choreography for the shows, “A Day in the Park,” the Etowah Cadet Guard show and “Just for Kicks,” the Etowah Winter Guard show. 

“The Etowah Winter Guard could not be what it is today without the impact of our role models and coaches, and because of that, the program will continue to flourish and grow for years to come,” Bree Moore, senior captain, said. 

A lot of hard work and many hours of practice went into both shows. The members of both guards are glad that their preparation paid off. 

About the Writer
Amanda Conklin, Reporter
Hi! I’m Amanda and this is my first year reporting for The Talon. I’ve always loved writing and I am so excited to be apart of the school newspaper. When I’m not at practices or competitions for marching band I love to go hiking with my friends.