Pump it up to give blood

Kellie Little

More stories from Kellie Little

The latest blood drive at Etowah on Mar. 26 had many benefits: free food, out of class time, and giving back to the community.  Thanks to the efforts of Etowah students, approximately 100 pints of of blood were donated.

“I’m glad that I get to help people and get free food,” Sirsha Dettmar, junior, said.

One pint of blood can save up to three lives. There is a constant need for blood for patients who need transfusions, which are necessary to replace components of blood  patients may be missing. Blood donation is vital because blood transfusions are such a common treatment that improve the lives of many. Jonathon Jenkins, senior and JROTC volunteer, saw Etowah’s contribution as a great thing.

“Ultimately, the blood drive was a success. It is great to see our peers helping those in need by volunteering to give blood. Etowah students are choosing to impact their community for the better,” Jenkins said.

The blood drive allowed JROTC students a chance to receive volunteer hours and more experience in planning and executing a major event. To be chosen is an honor for JROTC students , it shows they are responsible, they do well and work hard in academics, and have shown interest in volunteering throughout the year.

“They’ve [JROTC volunteers] done everything. Start to finish, they have worked hard in their lunch periods signing people up the week before. The day of, they helped the Red Cross set up when they arrived and took everything down at the end of the day,” Tanya Hagarman, JROTC director, said.

According to who.int, approximately 32,000 pints of blood are used a day in America. Hospitals need as much as they can get, so it is important everyone donates if they are eligible so they can help save lives.