To prom or not to prom?

More stories from Ava Fasano-Herman

April 21 is set to be a magical night for Etowah juniors and seniors during the 2018 prom at Southern Exchange, but there is controversy surrounding the grand event.  

“The average number of students attending prom has increased by 23 percent since I took over planning prom in 2012.  And, I think this has a lot to do with the locations we’ve chosen.  I’ve also worked to make it student-focused and provide unique experiences for students such as having Adam Bomb with Q100 come out to do giveaways and announce prom court the past three years,” Ashley Reeves, prom coordinator, said. 

Though many have waited years for this one night, it is often passed up by those who are old enough to attend. Upperclassmen may feel the need to skip prom because the price of tickets, outfits, and accessories can be too costly for students, and other plans may have been made beforehand. 

“Prom is just so expensive, and as a senior, I’m working and saving for other things,” Trinity Frankovich, senior, said. 

Freshmen students have recently come from middle school, where there is a homecoming dance every year. Etowah does not participate in yearly dances for underclassmen and only offers prom. Why do only upperclassmen attend prom, and why do so many choose not to go? 

“Students wait all through elementary and middle school for their prom, and I feel we should have more than two chances to go,” Nina Velasco, freshman, said. 

This is a common opinion among freshman and sophomores, but juniors and seniors do not always feel the same way. Many see prom as a privilege for older students who have been in high school for a couple of years and have earned this special night. 

“I don’t think underclassmen should be able to attend prom because it is special for upperclassmen,” Destiny Barnett, junior, said.  

Juniors and seniors can opt to take a freshman or sophomore as their date, but this is the only way underclassmen can attend.  

“I think prom should be for upperclassmen, and if they have a younger date then they can come, but that’s how it is now, and I think the way it is works for our school,” Sophia Younts, freshman, said. 

Prom tickets are currently for sale on Apr. 13 for $75 and online at any time.