The undercover introverts of society

Haley James

More stories from Haley James

Chances are that the last time you were in a classroom, you were sitting in pairs or groups. Maybe you worked with a partner in class or did a project with a friend. Nowadays, schools are creating assignments that are more oriented towards group work. For extroverts, this teaching strategy is perfect, but it is not always the best choice for more introverted students. 

Extroverts are people who tend to be more outgoing and open to others, even people they just met. They are usually more comfortable in social environments. Introverts, on the other hand, are more concerned with their own thoughts and feelings and are usually viewed by others as shy. 

“The ability to work alone is important and necessary. I think collaborative assignments are vital in forming leadership and teamwork skills, but I also believe that working alone stimulates individual thought and personal growth,” Abby Madsen, sophomore, said. 

One in every three people consider themselves an introvert, even though Americans tend to lean towards the extrovert lifestyle. In modern society, being happy means one must be outgoing, and kids who are comfortable speaking up are looked upon as good examples. Introverts are often seen as shy, when it is really quite the opposite. It just depends on the type of environment they are in; introverts are most comfortable in quiet places, unlike extroverts, who are content with lots of stimulation. 

“Whether I’m an introvert or extrovert depends on who I’m around. For the most part, I would consider myself an extrovert. I think group work benefits students because it teaches you how to work with others and how to compromise,” Rachel Ransom, junior, said. 

Group work as an idea has grown in schools worldwide. Collaborative assignments are given more often than not, although that learning style is not ideal to all. Students who prefer to work alone are often seen as outliers and are overlooked for leadership positions. This brings up the question of whether schools and offices should revert to old habits of isolation. 

Maybe some offices should have walls to promote individual thinking, instead of making all ideas collaborative. This way introverts who might not have as much of a voice in a group setting can still contribute their plans and not be overlooked. Schools arranging their desks in rows could help students come up with a deeper understanding of the materials they are learning. 

“Personally, I prefer working alone because then I don’t have to collaborate all my ideas and depend on others to fulfill their part. On the other hand, working in groups can end up in a better project because group members can build off each other,” Maggie Bradley, freshman, said. 

Working collaboratively is far from a bad thing, but there must be an in-between. Not all projects have to be group work, and not all assignments must be completed alone. Finding the balance between introversion and extroversion is important in order to create an environment at school that is helpful to all students, not just the ones who are comfortable speaking up.