Poets in the making

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz de Leon

Screams and shouts poured forth from the WACC, yet no one complained about the noise level. In fact, it was welcomed. The Poetry Out Loud contest, held for poets to showcase their skills, and be in the running for a $25 prize, was held on Jan. 25. This year’s winner, Ella Stewart, won the money, the coveted Poetry Out Loud t-shirt, and the honor of representing Etowah at the regional competition on Feb. 24 at Whitefield Academy in Mableton.

‘’ I decided to join the contest because of my love of poetry,’’ Zora Joyner, junior, said.

All students were eligible to participate. Dr. Barbara Gardner, literature teacher, coordinated the event. Students picked two poems from the Poetry Out Loud website, and chose the order they wanted to perform them. Students recited their poems from memory performing the poems with raw emotion which included yelling, sadness, and happiness.

‘’I decided to participate to do something fun with my sister and found appreciation for poetry through it,’’ Sophia Stewart, freshmen, said.

The participants were judged on: physical presence, voice and articulation, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, overall performance, and accuracy. Accuracy was based on the memorization of the poem, since note cards are not allowed. Dr. Gardner holds the event yearly and enjoys working with students on their overall performance. Most poets compete every year.

‘’I wrote it down and practiced in front of a mirror, and made sure I had pronunciation right,’’ Caitlin Leamon, junior, said.

Four English teachers helped Gardner judge by evaluating the performances using the Poetry Out Loud rubric and critiquing the accuracy of the poems recited. The total points earned in two rounds determined the winner.

‘’Poetry is beautiful, and I’m proud to be a part of it,’’ Daniel Efunwa, sophomore, said.

Gardner praised the event and the performers, and acknowledged their achievement.

‘’ Students worked hard memorizing their poems each and then stood tall reciting and conveying the meaning of their poems,’’ Gardner said.

Students expressed their voice and showed their passion for poetry while others came to admire and celebrate the performances.