A weekend full of drama

On Feb. 8, the Etowah drama department attended the Georgia Thespian Conference, or Thescon, a three-day event where Georgia thespians meet at Columbus State University and participate in a variety of workshops led by theater professionals from around the country.

“This was my first year at Thescon, and it was such an amazing experience. I had the time of my life,” Maya Gibbins, freshman, said.

There are many different workshops during the event that help the students improve their skills in singing, dancing, and acting. There are also workshops that teach more unusual skills, such as Stilt Walking 101 and Cirque-Shop, where students learn different circus skills. Students can also perform or view individual performance and tech events, audition for scholarships, talk to college representatives from around the country, shop with commercial vendors selling theater merchandise, and hang out with 5,000 other thespians.

“My last Thescon was quite an experience. From college auditions to life changing workshops, my cup is spilling over. I teared up at opening ceremony because I realized that I get to do this for the rest of my life,” Jenna Klein, senior, said.

Students interested in becoming a Thespian should contact Charlotte Forrest, drama teacher.