Show me the money

More stories from Danielle Barnes

Toys were us
May 15, 2018
Show me the money

Having a job as a teenager has benefits, but there are also downsides to working. Many students at Etowah have a job, but some are not yet old enough to apply. Most places start hiring at 16, so a lot of freshmen will have to find a different way to earn money.  

“I have had a job for awhile now, but I started working when I was a little bit younger because I work for my dad. I get paid and everything. I just got to start working before most people do,” Caden Price, sophomore, said.   

There are lots of places to work in the Woodstock area. Places like Chick-fil-A, Bruster’s, Kroger, Publix, and Taco Bell hire at 15. Other places around Towne Lake start hiring at 16, such as boutiques in Downtown Woodstock, pet stores, and Zoe’s kitchen.  

“I love working a Chick-fil-A because I get to see lots of friends from school. Also, I love working there because the staff there treats me like family, and we all get along, so well,” Becca Clark, freshman, said. 

There are some benefits to being a teen worker, such as making money and learning about time management. Students with a job can use the money for necessities or can decide to save up for a car.   

“I am trying really hard to get a job because I have to save up money for my own car. I have a twin sister, so we each have to save up for our own,” Abbie Worthington, freshman, said. 

Students who have a job work most days after school and weekends, so they will have to find time to fit other activities into their schedule.  

“I like working because I work with some of my friends, but it takes away a lot of time for me to do things I want, and it also gives me less time to spend with my family,” Clay Coccellato, sophomore, said.  

At work, employees might get to interact with people and make new friends, but they may have to find time for their other activities outside of work.   

“I believe strongly that having a job now will prepare me for the future because it teaches you life skills and responsibilities, as well as provides new experiences,” Pilar Lewis, senior, said.  

Getting a job is a big step to becoming an adult because in the real world outside high school students will have many more opportunities, and it prepares them for the future.