“Heading” to the top

Ansley Melnick

More stories from Ansley Melnick

On the Etowah soccer field, there are dedicated players who put in hours of preparation for the season. Players go through months of difficult conditioning that make their abs ache, legs cramp, and arms throb. For many, this sounds painful and is a difficult task to undergo, but for Etowah High School girls soccer players, this is their everyday life. 

“Conditioning was really tough, but everybody pushed hard and succeeded. It will be worth it this season when Etowah goes even further this season,” Morgan Castle, freshman, said. 

There are several talented players that tried out this year, so the coaches had a tough time deciding who was going to make the team. 

“There is a lot of competition this year. It was a really hard decision,” Coach Lindsey Alexander said. 

The team has a great deal of freshman talent this year, with the most freshmen on Varsity in Etowah’s history. 

“We have four swing players, so they will be playing both JV and Varsity. That is a huge opportunity for them,” Coach Alexander said. 

These girls will have lots of work to do. Swing players are those who play on both Varsity and JV. They are required to attend every JV and Varsity practice, all JV games, and every home Varsity game. 

“It will be so much work. We have stuff every single night. It will be worth it, though,” Sydney Jones, freshman, said. 

The first soccer game is on Thursday, February 1st, at North Cobb High School. Come out to support the Etowah soccer team.