History behind the lamp

Danielle Goold

More stories from Danielle Goold

Select students received a letter in the mail inviting them to the Lamp of Knowledge Ceremony. The Lamp of Knowledge is for students who have achieved a 90 or above grade point average for two years.

Danielle Goold

The Lamp of Knowledge is a prestigious award given to seniors every year who have achieved a high level of academic excellence, and an academic letter.

In 1999, Dr. Frank Petruzielo, Superintendent of Schools for Cherokee County, recommended the Lamp of Knowledge to the school board. Lettering in academics has been an opportunity for students since school began, just like lettering in a sport. It was not until 2010 that Etowah began holding a ceremony for these two awards.

“It’s kind of like you get your varsity letter in football, and then every year you play Varsity afterwards, you get a pin. You get your academic letter first, then you get your Lamp of Knowledge pin,” Amanda Findlay, counselor, said.

An academic letter requires students to have maintained a 90 or above weighted Numeric Grade Average for two consecutive years. For Lamp of Knowledge, a student need to have maintained it for three consecutive years, which is why only seniors have the opportunity for this award. This year, 217 juniors and seniors will  receive an academic letter, and 166 seniors will receive a lamp.

The award itself is a pin that seniors place on their academic letter, which can be put on a varsity jacket if they choose. Students also receive a certificate with their pin.

The ceremony will be held on Monday, Oct. 19 at 6:30 p.m. in the New Gym. Friends and family are welcome to attend and support the academic success of the students being awarded. Business attire is required for the recipients, and refreshments will be available at the end of the ceremony.