Marrisa Jasso tumbles into Etowah

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019
Marissa Jasso is not only tenth and eleventh grade social studies teacher. She also is the new competition cheer coach for Etowah while still coaching the KSU team.
photo by Madeline Fisher

Imagine teaching social studies full time, coaching a high school competition cheer team, coaching college competition cheer, and taking master’s degree courses.

New social studies teacher Marissa Jasso does not have to imagine it, she lives it every day.

“I was inspired by my world history teacher in high school,” Jasso said.

Jasso formally taught at former Pepplebrooke High school, located in Mableton, Ga.

In her fourth year, Jasso now teaches tenth and eleventh grade history. She said her first year at Etowah is going well and that students take great pride in their work.

Jasso is the new head varsity competition cheerleading coach along with special education teacher Cindy Fletcher. Jasso has been cheering since the age of seven. One of the many goals for the team this year is to make it to the state finals.

“I see a lot of great potential in the team,” Jasso said.

Jasso is most proud of moving from California to Georgia on her own so she could attend college. The young teacher has a Kennesaw State University magnet decorating her filing cabinet. Her scholarship to KSU for cheerleading led her to become the current head coach for the Kennesaw competition cheerleading team. She is still currently attending KSU to get her master’s degree.

Jasso said she became a teacher to build relationships with each student and help them with their academic career.