Following the rhythm of science

Tania Diaz de Leon

More stories from Tania Diaz De Leon

Following the rhythm of science

Lisa Simmons has truly done everything that a science teacher strives to accomplish. She has taught for nearly thirty years, and she has earned her master’s degree from Georgia Southern and her bachelor’s degree from Valdosta.

In high school, she was in band and thought of becoming a band director. At the same time , she still really enjoyed science.  Her devotions came into a clash when she had to choose between becoming a band director or a teacher. She now teaches physics.

“I like the hands-on aspect of science,’’ Simmons said.

Science and math have always come easily to her. Simmons came to Etowah because her husband had a job transfer in the area. He also works for Cherokee County schools and is the graphic communications and design instructor at Creekview High School.

She has taught engineering and been a media technology specialist. Simmons still attends college to complete her technical diploma for computer support specialist. It does not interfere with her teaching since her work is online.  Her best experience in science has been seeing her student develop and approach science. In her teaching, she enjoys her student’s motivation.

Outside of school, Simmons likes to refinish and repurpose furniture. She has also worked as a summer missionary when she was in college. She would also volunteer with the Georgia Baptist Children’s home in Baxley during her spring and summer breaks.  She helped young people to grow in their ability to overcome negative situations, as well as getting to work with children ministries. The experience helped her decide to teach rather than work in scientific research.

Simmons enjoys practicing her profession as well as meeting her students. She is determined in her work and finds ways to better herself through various fields. She enjoys being a physics teacher and continues her passion every day.