SWAEing into the Christmas season

Holly Kate OBrien

More stories from Holly Kate O'Brien

As the Christmas season nears, children are getting excited about Santa Claus coming to town. Shop with an Eagle, SWAE, gives students a chance to give back to the community. This Etowah organization is preparing for its shopping spree with children of many ages.  

“We have 265 students who have applied to become mentors and are working towards earning a spot by fundraising and selling shirts for $15,” Kristy Szpindor, adviser, said.  

Students help prepare for this event, by decorating the courtyard, the main cafeteria, and the bus entrance. 

“I’m really excited to be a part of Shop with an Eagle at Etowah. It’s the first opportunity I have taken to volunteer at my school, and I cannot wait to get started,” Connor Fisher, freshman, said.  

During the process, future mentors are required to sell at least three SWAE shirts. Another way to fundraise is to visit Cherokee elementary schools and provide students and staff with a flyer explaining what SWAE is. 

The children and their families receive canned food items from the PTSA once the event is completed. 

“I loved being a part of SWAE last year and was able to form an awesome relationship with a future Eagle,” Jenna Doran, sophomore, said. 

The advisers for SWAE, Szpindor, Donell Osborne, Rob Graner, and Erin Jacobs, are hard at work collecting any and all donations, and supervising all fundraisers the students must complete. 

Shop with an Eagle is scheduled for December 2nd.