Opening night and stage lights

Ansley Melnick

More stories from Ansley Melnick

The audience feels the excitement in the air as the Etowah actors prepare to perform their show, Radium Girls, for their very first time in front of an audience. 

“Opening night is my favorite night to come see a show,” Audrey Leamon, freshman, said. 

Called “powerful” or “enthralling,” Radium Girls keeps you on your feet every minute. Grace Fryer, the main character, works as a dial painter where she consumes deadly radium. One by one, all the girls who work with Grace begin to die off due to radium poisoning. Grace decides to fight back on behalf of her, and all of her recently deceased friends in court. As the case goes on, Grace finds herself battling not just with the U.S. Radium Corporation, but with her friends and family, as well, who fear that her campaign for justice will backfire.  

The main characters include Grace, played by Jenna Klein, senior, Tom, played by Adam Parbhoo, senior, and Roeder, played by Brandon Huynh, senior.  

Grace starts off as a rule follower. However, as the story progresses she realizes that she cannot always be the quiet, shy girl, and speaks out for what is right, even when her loved ones are against her. Her boyfriend, Tom, loves Grace with all of his heart, and stands by her even as her condition worsens. 

“I am so happy to be a part of this show, and I am so proud of the cast and crew for putting on something so special,” Rachel Crosby, junior, said. 

Roeder is viewed as an evil character, being in charge of the company that is causing the deaths of so many girls. Although, he makes a series of horrible decisions, he does so with the belief that he is justified in his actions.  At least, that is what he must tell himself to survive each day during his ordeal. 

“The show really has a profound effect on Etowah as in the past we’ve been known for comedies, but Radium Girls really shows that we can handle more serious works,”  Parbhoo said. 

With the love story between Grace and Tom, romance, warmth, drama and even some humor, the show has a great mix of everything.  

“This show has been the highlight of all my theatre experiences so far.  I feel so passionate about this, and it has been incredible. The story of Radium Girls deserves to be told, and I just hope that we’ve done it justice,” Klein said. 

Several people worked back stage helping the actors put on a great show. The astonishing tech team includes the talented people behind the makeup, hair, costumes, props, lights, sounds, set-changes, and managing the show. 

“Backstage is where the true magic happens,” Maya Gibbins, freshman, said. 

Etowah High School just won first place at the regional One Act competition, and is now preparing for the state competition. The cast feels very confident in the show and is ready to compete. 

Whether it is on or off stage, the Etowah High School drama department puts on a great show for friends and family to enjoy.