Behind- the- Scenes: Etowah comp cheer

Holly Kate O’Brien

More stories from Holly Kate O'Brien

Hey batter batter, swing
January 17, 2020
Back to Article
Back to Article

Behind- the- Scenes: Etowah comp cheer

As the Etowah competition cheerleaders prepare for their next competition this month at South Forsyth High School, they are ready to take on the other teams. With 14 girls on the floor, the team works together smiling throughout the full two-and-a-half-minute routine.

“I love the encouragement we give each other when we are trying something new,” Lauren Saale, freshman, said.

These cheerleaders enjoy improving their routine every practice to show audiences something they have never seen before.

“My favorite part about the season is getting to perform at every pep rally as one of the five freshmen on Varsity,” Brittany Miller, freshmen, said.

The varsity team challenges its members to bring it on at every performance, competing at the top level, creating show-stopping routines. The team took first place at McIntosh High School against eight other teams in their division. Marissa Jasso, head coach, is improving the routine to make the execution score higher for each competition. This score is based on the difficulty of their routine. “I am excited to see how my team progresses throughout the season,” Jasso said.

These girls share a special bond that makes them the team that they are.

“Competition cheer has taught me so much about working together with my team to all work towards one goal,” Madi Hines, sophomore, said, “Etowah competition has brought me so many new friends of all ages.”