Leaping across country into a new job

Holly Kate OBrien

More stories from Holly Kate O'Brien

Brittany Chandler, literature teacher, has been dancing her entire life and wanted to share that experience with her students. 

“I asked about a dance team on my first day here and became part of it on its first year,” Chandler said with excitement.  

Chandler started ballet when she was 5 and has loved it ever since. Her mom, who happened to be her dance teacher for most of her life, helped guide her to where she is now. Chandler was on a competitive high school dance team, and coached a different high school team in Portland, Oregon. She decided to bring this talent of hers to Etowah High School and create the Dancing Eagles Club.  

After her dancing career, Chandler and her husband moved from Portland to Woodstock to be closer to his family, and she is excited to watch her nephews grow up and attend Etowah High School.  

“Teaching has made me a more empathetic person,” Chandler said. 

Chandler wanted to pass that same feeling of understanding to her students that her teachers had shown her when they worked by her side. She knew that she wanted to teach, thanks to the teachers who inspired her. 

“I took the time to learn about how my teachers were helpful and great,” Chandler said. 

Chandler is impressed with how funny high schoolers are, and she also likes the age of her students, so she is content teaching here at Etowah. Chandler is glad to be in a profession that she is passionate about, and is excited to make a difference and have fun every day.