Becoming a sea Shell

Teresa Chan

More stories from Teresa Chan

Transitioning from sophomore to junior year is already difficult, but for many years, Etowah students were fortunate to have a teacher help them through that transition. It is bittersweet that this teacher retires this month.

Mrs. Shell, who many students know, has taught AP, honors and regular world history, will finally be moving to the coast of Georgia and live out her plans of retirement with her husband. After a long career of teaching at many schools ranging from an all girls Catholic school to making lifelong friends in the Social Studies Department at Etowah, Shell retires with many memories to remember for a lifetime.

“I hope to be able to travel a lot, and visit relatives I haven’t been able to see in awhile.  We have a bucket list a mile long, but we also want to become part of our new community through volunteer activities and church involvement,” Shell says, excited for her newfound free time with her family.

Shell admits that it will be tough to leave behind all the students she has taught, and all the close friendships she has made through the faculty at Etowah. Although she claims that her students never have failed to inspire her throughout her years of teaching, there are many moments that may have had her question her career choice.

“When I was teaching in El Paso, Texas, and two boys started fighting in my trailer.  I had no phone or way of contacting the office for help, and it was just like a cartoon watching them “roll” down the aisle fighting.  Needless to say the principal was not very happy with my classroom management skills!”

As a former student of hers,  I can say Mrs. Shell has taught not only one thousand years of world history, but has taught her students how to critically analyze and assess every situation and important aspect of it, not only in the classroom, but in everyday life.

“I hope my students will remember me for having taught them how to think.  If they don’t remember all of the names of Henry VIII’s wives, that’s okay – as long as they can make connections between events in the past and today, and analyze the causes, effects, and changes that have occurred,” says Shell, content with the impact she has made on many of her former students.