Getting schooled…by Mom

Madeline Bernard

More stories from Madeline Bernard

How would you like to go to the bathroom whenever you want, talk as much as you wish, eat as you please and never ride the dreaded school bus? With homeschool, you can.

Homeschooling allows students to learn at their own pace, which seems to be a large problem in public schooling. The students could fall behind in the class, whereas others could be ahead.

“I have fallen behind, but most of the time, the teacher doesn’t say anything, and I have to bring my grade up on my own,” Diana Guerrero, freshman, said.

In homeschool, students can truly learn at their own pace, and they get more one-on-one time with the teacher.

“For my science class, I was watching documentaries, and history, as well. When I would watch these documentaries, I would take notes, and I would have to write about it. Not only would I be learning something new, but I was enjoying learning it,” Shelby Kassoff, senior, said. “I was only homeschooled for sixth and seventh grade, but I liked homeschool way better.”

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, homeschooled students have less of a chance of getting into drugs and alcohol, facing peer pressure, and being truant because their parents are responsible for teaching them.

With homeschooling, there is no need to worry about bullying because you are in the safety of your own home.

“Six out of ten American teenagers witness bullying in school once a day or even more frequently,” John A. Calhoun, President and CEO of the National Crime Prevention Council, reported.

The bad thing about homeschool is that there is not as much social interaction as there is for someone in public or private school, and some people have trouble being social after high school.

“I wish I could have done small group things sometimes. It was just my mom and me, so I never got to really work with others,” Kassoff said.

According to Scholastic.com, children ages three to five need social interaction with others. They need certain toys to play with; most importantly, they need to do things with other children.

Homeschool is not public school; it is one of the few other choices, made for certain people.