Ultimate Frisbee, ultimate fun

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019
Ultimate Frisbee, ultimate fun

Are you approaching high school, or even in high school, and feel as if you have not found your “thing” yet? No need to fret. Chris O’Cleary, physical education teacher at Oak Grove Elementary, is trying to start an Ultimate Frisbee team at Etowah.

“I’ve always wanted to do it. It’s actually one of the reasons I became a PE teacher,” O’Cleary said.

O’Cleary is credited with starting the Ozone Ultimate team for women, and she is the first women to be inducted into the Ultimate Hall of Fame.

“I would be thrilled to start a high school team. It has been a dream of mine for my entire teaching career,” O’Cleary said.

O’Cleary hopes the team will represent Etowah, but that would require support from the administration and school district. Having a high school team over a middle school team allows students to find a sport to continue into college, and there are more competitions at the high school level.

“I have tried to start a team a couple of times, but the district wouldn’t let me. However, now that ultimate has become more popular and there are many other high schools that play, I believe I could be successful. Etowah Eagles Ultimate has a good ring to it, doesn’t it?” O’Cleary said.

In order to start an ultimate team, O’Cleary will have to build her team, find and secure a practice site, recruit a coaching staff, and enter in competitions. She is hoping to recruit some Kennesaw State ultimate players to help her coach the program. The team would compete against other schools in the metro-Atlanta area.

O’Cleary would start her team at the Junior Varsity level and gradually coach her team to become Varsity material. She hopes the team will be up and running sometime in the spring.

The benefits to being on an ultimate team range from building character, to making friends, to achieving a high-fitness level because of the fast-paced nature. If this sounds like the sport for you, keep your eyes out for the Etowah Eagles Ultimate team!