Stop the presses

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019

The pros of keeping high school newspapers outweigh the cons, but schools all over America are slowly dropping their journalism electives. Is journalism becoming a lost art?

Instead of getting rid of the class, why not advertise it more? Students entering high school are faced with the challenge of choosing an elective every year. These elective classes are designed to help students discover their interests, and possibly lead them down a path in that career field. Having journalism as an option to students can widen that line of work.

It is impossible to forget about journalism. No matter what, people want to know what is happening around them and what is affecting their community.

A 2011 media study shows that only two-thirds of the nation’s high schools have newspapers. Since social media came around with instant posts and messages, students do not have to rely on school newspapers for news. People these days want a 140 character summary rather than taking the time to read a whole article.

According to The American Press Institute, high school journalism students earned higher grade point averages and scored better on the American College Test (ACT).

There is more to journalism than just forming a story. The class teaches students responsibility and can improve social skills. Being on staff keeps students more involved with their school and gives them a voice.

High school students need an outlet to speak their mind, and school newspapers are just the place to do it. One thing Etowah’s staff can take from this year is that the more brain power, the better the issue will be.