English major to English teacher

Danielle Goold

More stories from Danielle Goold

Mrs. Rennie  poses for a photo during a new teacger meeting.

Marsha Loversky

Mrs. Rennie poses for a photo during a new teacger meeting.

After student teaching at Etowah last year, Rachel Rennie found herself here again, this time as a paid teacher.

“I was really inspired by some amazing teachers I had in high school, and I saw how passionate they were. I already knew I loved working with young adults, and I just wanted to take charge of a classroom and create that same passion with literature,” Rennie said.

Rennie grew up in Woodstock and majored in Secondary English Education at Kennesaw State University. Now that Rennie is an official teacher, she is figuring things out day by day.

“It is definitely a lot of challenging work, but it’s totally worth it,” Rennie said.

Rennie loves the community at Etowah and how closely knit everyone is. She wanted to be part of the infectious energy Mr. Ball spreads throughout our school.

“It kind of sucks you in honestly, and it is such a wonderful thing to be a part of,” Rennie said.

Rennie is excited to teach “The Crucible,” and is eager to see how students will portray their characters.

“My students are looking forward to it already. It’s very intense and talks a lot about human nature and how backward it can be,” Rennie said.

Even though she teaches literature, Rennie is surprisingly not an avid reader.

“Reading can be very difficult for me, and I think my students would be surprised to know that because it is kind of an assumption that every literature teacher loves reading,” Rennie said.

Rennie married in July is expecting her first baby next spring.  In her free time, she enjoys being outside and relaxing, and going on hikes with her husband. Her favorite place to hike is Olympic National Park.

“When I’m not inside grading, I like to go walking with my husband, and finding something to do so that I can really decompress,” Rennie said.

Rennie has very exciting plans for her classes, and is looking forward to what the school year will bring.