Something’s cooking at Etowah

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019

Etowah recently welcomed Jamie Lester, a new career tech teacher to Etowah, and she is cooking up a storm.

“I am a life long learner, and I love sharing my passion for learning with others,” Lester said.

Lester got her undergraduate degree from Kennesaw Sate University and her masters from Valdosta State University, both in middle school education, math and science.

“I am very fortunate to be able to teach [food nutrition and childhood education] what I enjoy,” Lester said.

Before coming to Etowah, she taught seventh grade Life Science at Creekland Middle School.

“This is a dream job,” Lester said.

Originally wanting to become a chef, Lester has always had a passion for cooking and working with children. While teaching career tech skills, Lester also teaches her students others skills such as cooking and measuring. These skills will benefit students not only in high school but later on in life.

“Ms. Lester really cares about what she teaches,” Paige Tallman, sophomore, said.

This is the first year Etowah is offering a Childhood Education class. Early Childhood Education is the first class in its pathway. It teaches students how to write lesson plans, how to keep children safe, and how to begin their portfolio for the Child Development Association, which is requirement if you want to work in a preschool.

The Food Nutrition pathway has three classes: Food Nutrition and Wellness, Food for Life, and Food Science. Students learn how to cook, what types of food affect our health, the chemistry behind cooking and food, and food supply.

“I love the fact that we [Etowah] have such high standards,” Lester said.

Lester appreciates being able to share her passion of teaching what she loves to a wide range of students.

“I love taking her class, and she has inspired me to pursue a career in the nutrition pathway,” Kadee Tiberio, freshmen, said.

Lester is currently the Family, Career, Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) adviser. The club is working on recruiting new members, continuing its work towards community service, working on leadership skills, and preparing for their competition in January.