Etowah’s chorus teacher sings a new tune

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019

Trying to bring back the alma mater, starting an honor society and helping with fine arts events, William Hall, chorus teacher at Etowah High School, does it all.

Born in Macon, Georgia, Hall originally was an environmental science major, but switched to music education once he knew he was interested in teaching. He got his undergraduate degree from Georgia Southern to study music education, focusing on secondary Choral Methods. He attended Louisiana State University to study Music Performance, focusing on Choral Conducting. While working with students, he realized he had a passion for teaching.

Hall has been teaching more than a dozen years at the middle and high school levels and at Etowah for seven.

“From day one, I’ve been impressed by the politeness and general good nature of the student body,” Hall said.

Hall has taught music theory, chorus, orchestra, class piano and band. He hopes to teach a music history class and an introduction to keyboard and piano class one day.

“He always encourages us to do our best and do what makes us happy,” Rachel Crosby, sophomore, said.

This year, Hall and band director Stephen Long are planning to create an honor music society called Tri-M. The fine arts department will have a chance to volunteer for community performances and bring some seminars and workshops to students.

“I hope they [students] leave here with a life long appreciation for the arts,” Hall said.

The music department is trying to bring back the alma mater this year for Etowah’s 40th anniversary. By the end of the year, Hall hopes to have the students know it well enough to sing it at school events.

“With all five fine arts teachers on the same page doing what’s best for the students, I think it will be amazing to see what we can achieve in the future,” Hall said.

The whole fine arts department works together to put on The Winter Extravaganza and the Spring Musical. By doing so, Etowah can see the quality in their performances.