Five inches more confident

Picture credits: Yahoo!Finance, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/leg-lengthening-surgery-changed-life-090000440.html

The average height of a male in America is 5’9”. The trend of height enhancing cosmetic surgeries have been on the rise in America. Cosmetic surgeries have the goal of making ones self-esteem, confidence and appearance better. This craze has traveled to other countries such as Turkey where the number one leg lengthening business, ‘Wanna Be Taller,’ was established in 2015 by Ibraham Algan. 

Ibraham Algan, a 5’2” man, felt he was just not tall enough for himself or others. He thought that, as a short person often faced with derogatory terms from girlfriends, friends, coworkers and family, taller people did not take him as seriously as they did others. This would go on to affect his confidence level. 

“[I feel like] taller people do not take short people as serious because taller people might feel a sense of intoxicating power because one person towers over the other,” Connor Lindsay, freshman, said. 

As a school counselor, Algan felt as though he lacked the charisma and self-respect to help his students because he believed they would not take him seriously due to his height. Due to this concern, he spent a total of around $27,000 on two surgeries, each increasing his height by 2.4 to 2.5 inches. Procedures like this can cost from $70,000 to $100,000 depending on how much height patients would like to gain. 

“[I am 5’5”, and] honestly no [I would not get the surgery] because I like my height, that is a lot of money, and I do not know if I trust a device controlled by a remote to be put in my body,” Mia Duplantis, sophomore, said. 

Some Etowah students feel the leg surgery would boost their confidence to be taller. Most have the same reasons as Algan did, which were derogatory terms and not being taken seriously. For the few students who may consider this surgery, they believe it is a way for shorter people to feel better about their height. 

“[I am 5’6”, and] yes, [I would get the surgery] because I would have more confidence if I was taller,” Benjamin Evans, senior, said. 

The surgery consists of four to six tiny incisions in the leg to cut the bone. The incisions allow access to the hollow parts of the bone, where the surgeon will then put a device controlled by a remote to increase height each day. The day after surgery, patients are allowed to increase their heights by one millimeter. 

“[I am 5’4”, and] I would not get the surgery because I am content with my height, and it does sound painful because forcefully making yourself taller is not natural. It would feel uncomfortable to make that change to your body,” Lily Dauer, junior, said. 

Some high schoolers feel that a height enhancement will make them feel a few inches more confident. However, regardless of one’s height, confidence should come from within.