College, career, or cadet?

Many high school students count down the days until their graduation; but after crossing the stage—diploma in hand—some are left wondering what their next step will be. Typically, students further their education and attend a university. However, many other post-secondary options have become popular, leaving students wondering whether college really is the path they should follow. 

In Georgia, 67% of high school graduates register for fall college classes immediately following the summer after their senior year. Many see college as the best way to prepare for a future career because it offers a range of in and out of school opportunities such as work experience, new skills, and the establishment of beneficial contacts for future projects. Additionally, bachelor’s degree holders earn an annual income 84% higher than those whose highest education is a high school diploma. 

“People who went to college are probably making more money and are getting better jobs because a company is going to want to hire someone who is educated versus someone who is not,” Will Hardman, junior, said. 

Some students attend a trade school to qualify for jobs such as automotive technicians, medical assistants, and hair stylists. Others decide to pursue a career in the arts like singing, acting, or dancing, which can be extremely high paying jobs if one finds success. Individuals that follow this pathway tend to use self-expression and creativity to further their career and do not like the idea of going to another institution after high school.  

   “Just because someone goes to college does not mean they are smarter than everyone who did not go. If college is not the route someone wants to take, you cannot blame them for that. It is not for everyone,” Gabbi Uribe, sophomore, said. 

A small percentage of students choose to go into one of the four military branches (Army, Marines, Air Force, and Navy). These offer benefits such as education and training based on a student’s mode of operations (the soldier-chosen specialty), a government-issued bill that covers full college tuition for any children of the individual, and a healthcare system which covers doctor’s appointments, emergency visits, dental hygiene, dermatology appointments and much more. 

“Joining the Army is the best option for me. I am not a school person, and I like to get my hands dirty. They pay pretty well, and they are going to put me up in the barracks, so I will have a free place to live,” Chase Kettering, senior, said. 

Whether it is going to college, joining the military, or furthering one’s career in a creative way, anyone has the opportunity to become successful in whichever occupation they choose.