Letter you like it or not

Letter you like it or not

Earning a letter can be one of the most important accomplishments of one’s high school career; at least, that is what my mom says; however, some parents, unlike my own, view this achievement as yet another way to empty their wallets. 

“I believe letterman’s are worth it because it shows a symbolic reference of achievement and participation in the sport or activity and distinguishes me above my peers,” Zachary Mauriello, junior, said. 

Students receive letter recognition through stellar performance in varsity sports, clubs, academics, or community service. A letterman jacket is often assumed to be purchased soon after earning these awards. Depending on how many letters and patches a student has, the process of buying a jacket varies. The average cost ranges from 200 to 400 dollars, not including embroidered names and color choices. In addition to cost, the waiting period to get the jacket back can last as long as three months. As a result, parents and students may find the accomplishment of earning a letter to not be worth the money for a simple piece of clothing. 

“It is overpriced, but it is the best high school memento because you will keep it forever. Then again, you would not wear it after high school, so that would be a waste of money,” Kristi Pearson, Etowah parent, said. 

Although the jacket is costly, buying a letterman can be beneficial. Students enjoy showcasing their accomplishments by adding pins that represent years of commitment on the coat. Patches can also be added along the sleeves to represent playoff rankings, academic achievements, and extracurricular involvement. In addition to showing off accomplishments, some consider a letterman as another great way to stay warm during the winter season. With leather sleeves and soft fabric, this clothing is great for staying toasty. 

“Throughout the year, athletes work and train hard so that they can excel at their sport. Letterman jackets represent the dedication and accomplishments achieved throughout the season. It basically shows that hard work pays off,” Ella Jorgensen, freshman, said. 

Whether one thinks a letterman jacket is a waste of money or wants to flaunt their Etowah memorabilia, one can purchase a coat through Creative Awards if interested.