Dribbling into basketball season

Ally Barnes

More stories from Ally Barnes

Feeling’ 22
April 29, 2022

With football season over, Etowah High School students are changing their scenery from the field to the court. They are filling the bleachers, ready to cheer on the Eagles in hopes of watching their team make it to the state championship and end with a victory.  

“The student section brings so much energy to the game,” Josh Sebring, junior varsity player, said. 

The Varsity Eagles began the season by playing the Creekview Grizzlies on Nov. 12. The game ended with a score of 71 to 36, giving the boys a win. There are five more non-region games, and the first regional game against Milton High School on Dec. 7. Last year, the boys had a strong season, making it all the way to the state playoffs but losing to Wheeler High School with a score of 68-48.  

“We [the team] are excited about the season starting, and I am happy that we have a chance to compete for a state championship my senior year,” Jonah Hamilton, senior varsity player, said. 

The Varsity Lady Eagles are on the same schedule but will play an hour before the boys. Last year, they also made it to the state playoffs after beating Walton 55-34, but they ended their season with a loss to Westlake High School with a score of 73-31. This year, they are bringing their skills back to the court to advance as far as they can while also enjoying time with their teammates, as they are all best friends.  

“It is my senior season, so I am super excited to play. All these girls are my best friends, which makes it even more fun,” Kiersten James, senior varsity player, said.  

Having their fellow students cheer them on from the bleachers will motivate the Eagles to do their best. Tickets for the games are available here.