The advocate of unity

Yemi Mahmood

More stories from Yemi Mahmood

Saving planet Earth
April 28, 2022

The persistent issue of incorporating diversity into communities not only affects areas shown on the news, but it impacts Etowah High School as well. Many students feel left out or discriminated against because of their identity; however, Jennifer Jones, Etowah Assistant Principal, has taken it upon herself to promote inclusivity on Eagle Mountain. 

Jones is the sponsor of the Diversity Council – a group of students, teachers, and administrators with a goal to implement change and promote inclusion. To learn more about the Diversity Council, visit here. 

“With the council, I hope to promote a supportive environment for the social, emotional, and academic growth of all students,” Jones said. 

Jones studied abroad in Montpellier, France, where she met people of various backgrounds who practiced tolerance for one another. She went on to travel to 18 different countries, and one thing that consistently stood out to her was the respect everyone had for each other. 

“In my experience, I have met diverse groups of people, but the important thing is that everyone was valued on the same level,” Jones said. 

Jones takes pride in her diverse background and aims to work with faculty members on making the classroom a welcoming environment. Her goal is to have outside trainers come to Etowah and help teachers incorporate methods of inclusion in their teaching. 

“I have a grant that is going to be used for professional development so teachers can learn strategies for cultural instructions,” Jones said. 

In the future, Jones aims to become a principal so she can have a greater impact on students  while teaching the importance of an accepting society. 

“I am constantly searching for a better way to do things; I plan to own my own building,” Jones said. 

While Jones might not be the first to advocate for diversity, she looks forward to inspiring young adults to support the move for unity in the Etowah community.