Showing out at the blue out

Alyssa Pearson

More stories from Alyssa Pearson

Dear Etowah…
April 19, 2022

The players laced their cleats. Blue filled the stands. The crowd was ready. The time had come. On Friday, Aug. 6, Etowah Varsity Eagles had their first scrimmage at Sequoyah High School— marking the beginning of the football season. 

One major difference between last year’s and this year’s season is the change in COVID-19 restrictions. The stadiums are starting to return to the usually crowded student section, helping students experience the full spirit of Etowah once again. 

“I am looking forward to having the opportunity to have a student section with less COVID-19 restrictions; it helps gives fans more opportunities to support [the team],” Madi Martin, junior, said.  

Although Etowah had a rough start to the season with a 0-21 loss to Sequoyah, the student section continues to bring excitement to the games. Students displayed their school spirit by involving themselves in the theme, “blue out,” with costumes ranging from painted bodies to a simple blue shirt.  

“I felt like we had really good school spirit, and the crowd was very hyped even though we lost,” Gabrielle Bridges, senior, said.  

School spirit is not just reserved for football games. The Etowah band performed in the courtyard before school to get the student body enthusiastic for the first game. Fans got to listen to songs that are often associated with football events such as “Hey Baby” by Bruce Channel and “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars.  

“I think it [pep band] helps change things up around campus, lighten the mood, and get people awake in the morning,” Gavin Zindle, sophomore, said. 

Etowah has their next game on Aug. 20 at Creekview with the theme “safari.” Come dressed as a tourist or animal, and represent Etowah’s school spirit.