Dunn and finished

More stories from Holly Kate O'Brien and Riley Corona

Thanks, teachers
May 17, 2021

As the school year comes to a close, a familiar face at Etowah is closing a chapter of his life, as well. Students who do work release or have watched the Varsity girls’ basketball games might know this helpful teacher. David Dunn has done more than enough for faculty and staff which includes: Work-Based Learning, National Technical Honor Society, Varsity Girls’ Basketball Assistant, Bridge Bill Coordinator, and Skills USA.

“The girls [Varsity basketball players] were the most awesome bunch of ladies, and I was really grateful that Coach Graner asked me to assist him this year. This was one of my best years ever coaching and working with student athletes,” Dunn said.

Dunn has worked at Etowah for thirteen years and for twelve years before that at Woodstock. He also worked three years in Cobb County. Dunn is eligible to retire this year, and he is looking forward to move to the Georgia coastal town of Shellman Bluff. He plans to spend his free time fishing, biking, golfing, and enjoying low country boils and oyster roasts.

“I have worked every year of my life since I was 14-years-old except two years in college, so I figure it is time to turn the page.  I look forward to growing a garden and catching my dinner from the ocean every day,” Dunn said.

Dunn will miss the lunch ladies most. They ensured he would never leave the cafeteria hungry, and they kept a smile on his face for the past 28 years.

“I want to take a moment to thank the EHS Administration, teachers, staff, CTAE Department, but especially the students at EHS and those that participated in WBL over the years. The students at EHS are amazing young people. That is also a reflection of their parents. It was a privilege for me to work with all of you. I will miss you all greatly and thank you for all the awesome memories,” Dunn said.

If students pass him in the hall these last weeks at school, be sure to thank Mr. Dunn for all he has done and congratulate him on an amazing career.