A day in the life of an AP student

McKenzie Spindler

More stories from McKenzie Spindler

Did you know you can take college classes without leaving campus? In high school, students have the option of taking Advanced Placement classes where you could potentially gain college credit. A college level class is not going to be easy, with an expensive test at the end that determines if you will receive the credit.
Currently, I am taking three AP classes. AP United States history, AP language and composition, and AP psychology. Between those classes, my plate is full. I barely have time to write this article; however, no matter how many AP, or even honors classes one takes, students can always find a set schedule to help them study.
The time it takes to do homework varies depending on the load, but for a student with three AP classes, the average is two hours. Students taking more have their whole night booked.
Most AP teachers are lenient about changing the deadlines if there are other tests or projects due at the same time. Some honors teachers are nice about that too; just ask.
“I will reach out to students, but I also love when students take the initiative to seek out extra help/clarification/et cetera,” said Tabitha Roper, AP Language and Composition teacher.
Study groups can be an excellent way to help study for any test, let alone AP. You have the opportunity to get together with other students who are struggling over the same thing and work together to figure it out.
“If you’re taking multiple AP classes, I highly recommend forming study groups,” said Roper.
How do you break up your time, so you do not go brain dead with all that homework? It is simple; just take 30 minute breaks. I spend about an hour doing AP U.S. History (APUSH) and have a short break before diving into AP Psych. That way, my brain gets a break as well.
“Plan out large assignments and projects for your AP classes over several days. Don’t wait ’til the last minute to complete a major project for one of your classes. Instead, divide the work up over several days,” said Rebecca Schwartz, AP U.S. History teacher.
Stressing over the AP Exam is a given. To get the college credit, a student must score at least a three. Colleges will then decide how many credits you get based on your score. For example, the University of Georgia will only accept a four or a five on the AP exam for American history, and that transfers to three credit hours. At UGA, AP psychology gets three credit hours for a three, four, or five on the exam.
“Come to class as if it is April, and you are about to take the exam. If you are always that eager to learn, you are going to find more success than if you wait to take the class seriously until sometime second semester,” said Roper.
Worrying about your score constantly is a part of the life of an AP student. There is no getting around that.
However, if you try your hardest, and do what you’re supposed to do, there should be no problem getting a three, four, or five on the AP exam, and an A in the class.