Georgia’s hidden gems

Kat Kochansky

More stories from Kat Kochansky

With the arrival of February break and COVID-19 rates remaining high, many are choosing to limit travel and spend time at home or within driving distance. For those planning on spending their breaks or weekends in Georgia, there are a multitude of exciting outings in the state.

“I usually ski over break, but this year I am staying home. It is a bummer, and I’m going to miss traveling this year,” Alex Ordway, junior, said. 

For those who have spent quarantine binge watching Netflix, the title “Stranger Things” is nothing new. Although the newest season will not be out for a while, the show comes to life with a quick trip around Metro Atlanta. Following a map from Atlanta Magazine, fans can see the real life locations where “Stranger Things” scenes were filmed.

“I love driving, history, and road trips, so a ‘Stranger Things’ road trip would be a thrilling way to explore Georgia over break,” Sarah Oburu, senior, said.

Another great spot to check out while in the Atlanta area is Oglethorpe University. Oglethorpe is known for its stunning architecture throughout campus, which compares to the likes of Yale and Cambridge. Spending the day pretending to be an Ivy League student, or perhaps a Hogwarts student, is sure to take up the afternoon.

After being cooped up inside for school, break could be the perfect time to head out on a hike. Just near Woodstock is SweetWater Creek State Park, where the New Manchester ruins lay steps away from a popular trail. Steps below the tarnished brick remains is a rocky creek, giving this hike a beautiful halfway point.

“If my family and I have a day where we are free, and it’s a nice day, we usually go for hikes. Over break, I’m sure we will go for one, too,” Abby Hanes, freshman, said. 

Even with restrictions on international travel, a trip to the countryside of France is possible at one of Georgia’s many wineries. At Chateau Elan, which doubles as a resort, a weekend getaway including a tour of the winery grounds can be a great way to escape, even in the midst of a pandemic. 

“My family goes to Chateau Elan every year, and I’ll definitely enjoy it more when I’m older, but it is so nice and a really fun place to have a fancy getaway,” Erin Aycoth, junior, said. 

This year for break, planning a staycation can help keep one safe and save money. Visiting local landmarks as a tourist can help natives see Georgia from a new perspective.