Do sports really benefit high school students?

Danielle Goold

More stories from Danielle Goold

by Casey Martin

Etowah faces off against their biggest rival, Woodstock.

For everything involved with school, there is no way someone can play sports on top of that. Yet for some people, being on a sports team in high school is their life.

“I think that sports teach students life lessons and qualities such as team work, work ethic, loyalty, and commitment,” Brett Vavra, football coach, said.

High school is all about finding yourself and making great friends, which students can do if they are on a sports team. They are able to delve into something they might have a hidden talent for and never knew they enjoyed, like running cross country. Team bonding also provides students the ability to know their teammates better, and make friends for life.

“I have been doing the same sport for seven years, and I love it so much. Being in taekwondo has greatly impacted my life because not only do I stay in shape and make wonderful friends, I also get the honor to lead an amazing team,” Miranda Lehman, senior, said.

Student athletes also learn to balance their schedule and their time. Not only do they have to make time for practice every single day but also for homework, clubs, and chores at home.

“I have a schedule that I stick to. Depending on when soccer practice is, I do my homework before practice, and studying after. That way I can get all three done. It works all the time, I never feel stressed,” Steven Riddick, freshman, said.

But there is another side to playing sports in high school: the prospect of getting a college scholarship. When students find a sport they do well, they are not the only ones who notice. Especially come junior or senior year, when talent scouts start to recruit standout student athletes to play at the college level.

Participating in sports during high school is a great opportunity for students to be active. It gives them something to focus on or to escape life’s problems. Not only do athletes make friends doing something they love, it allows the lucky ones to go to college on an athletic scholarship. With all these benefits, playing a sport in high school is a win-win situation.