2020 testing more than patience

Nicole Martin

More stories from Nicole Martin

Summer bucket list
May 14, 2021

With multiple SAT and ACT cancellations due to COVID-19, seniors applying to college are experiencing tremendous stress. In previous years, students had the opportunity to take the SAT or ACT several times, but because of COVID-19 lockdowns, seniors may only get to test once, or worse, not at all.

“Local schools and test centers make individual decisions about whether to administer the SAT. Because of covid-19, many test centers will have reduced capacity this year and may even decide to close,” College Board tweeted on August 10.

Most testing centers in Cherokee county have cancelled or reduced their testing capacity for the Aug. 29 testing date, leaving students scrambling to find a new location.

“I had already taken it before COVID cancelled everything, so I’m not too stressed, but I did sign up for another one that is coming up, which is a little strange because I don’t know if it’s going to get cancelled or not,” Emilie Dudgeon, senior, said.

Due to many testing dates being cancelled, many colleges are going test-optional. Schools like Kennesaw State University did not require testing for students applying fall of 2020. The University System of Georgia released on Aug. 27 information that they will not require test scores for seniors applying to fall of 2021. Click here for a list of colleges that are test optional for the 2021-2022 school year.

College students applying for the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year do not have to have test requirements to be granted the scholarships as long as the student meets the other requirements. However, students will be required to take the SAT or ACT before December 30, 2020, to keep the scholarships. Click here for more information. This could impact how the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships are determined next year, as well.

This has been a rough year for many, but some colleges are aiming to ease the stress of students by minimizing testing requirements. Seniors who are planning to test, make sure to sign up for the SAT or ACT before time runs out.