Adjusting to the new normal

Ila Prabhuram

More stories from Ila Prabhuram

A new musical era
May 10, 2023
Adjusting to the new normal

Safety or education? 

With students transitioning to in-person learning on September 3rd, moving forward during the COVID-19 pandemic has become a controversial topic for many at Etowah High School.  

After being given the choice of digital learning or attending in-person classes, several parents and students have been lining up outside of the CCSD headquarters, protesting the re-opening of schools in Cherokee county. Many are also taking their complaints to platforms such as Facebook, voicing their disapproval for the re-opening of schools.  

“I chose digital learning because I knew Etowah was much too big for there not to be any cases. I like to keep things at my own pace,” Kayna Kambou, junior, said. 

While some miss out on the face-to-face interaction that in-person school provides, some students enjoy the benefits of working in an environment that is comfortable for them. 

“I have really bad asthma and immunity issues, which is why I chose to do digital learning. Taking courses through GAVS (Georgia Virtual School) makes it easier,” Makayla Shaffer, junior, said. 

But many students and parents are thrilled that school has re-opened, as they feel their child is in a safe learning environment. Several students believe that digital learning will cause them to get behind on their schoolwork, since they would not be able to interact with their teacher or fellow peers as much. 

“I like in-school learning a lot more because of the interaction and better access to getting help. Digital learning is nice since it is typically laxer, but I don’t learn as well,” Ryan Kennedy, junior, said. 

Going to school in-person allows students to interact with one another, get to know their teachers, and work in a familiar environment. While they have tighter deadlines and less leisure with submitting assignments, many students prefer face-to-face interaction. 

“I chose in-person school because I’m the type of person who can’t be stuck in a house all day. I need to move around, see people and teachers, learn visually, and absorb information through hearing people speak,” Madison Kutschke, sophomore, said.  

Shortly following the re-opening of Etowah on August 3, school was again closed on August 11, due to the sudden rise of COVID-19 cases in school. For now, the plan is to remain digital until September 3when students will then transition to in-person learning once more using a new hybrid schedule 

As Etowah students and the community work to keep one another safe while continuing to emphasize academics, the debate continues whether school should remain digital. Be on the lookout for updates from the superintendent