Friday football fashion

Alina Frederick

More stories from Alina Frederick

The college hunt
April 29, 2021

It is a Friday morning. Students stroll Eagle Mountain outfits coordinated for the first football game of the season. Glitter is scattered across the parking lotcheerleaders are in uniform, the football players in theirs. 

The idea of having themes each football game is genius. It radiates the school spirit much more and makes the games more fun,” Alec Blanchard, senior, said. 

At the end of each school year, the Eagle Connection club comes up with the football themes for the following year. The themes are determined by members’ votes. 

The students have never really gotten to choose the themes for the games before, so it was really fun being able to suggest new ideas that we’ve never done before that people could get more creative with,” Ally Zazzara, junior, said. 

Some themes are assigned certain games for specific reasons. Traditionally the first game is Hawaiian-themed saying “aloha” to the new season; the Woodstock game is always a blackout to let the Wolverines know that Etowah is ready to bury their cross-town rivals, and every October, there is a Pink Out in honor of B.C A. Month. 

I like that some of the themes we have are annual every year, since they have a background meaning,” Ty Vansickle, junior, said. 

Below are the themes for the 20192020 football season: 

• August 23 @ River Ridge (Hawaiian) 
  • August 30 @ North Cobb (Jersey) 
  • September 6 vs. South Forsyth (Teacher Appreciation) (America) 
  • September 13 vs. Pebblebrook (Junior Eagle Night) (Gold Out) 
  • September 20 @ Hillgrove (Tie Dye) 
  • September 27 OFF 
  • October 4 @ Cherokee (Pink Out) 
  • October 11 vs. Woodstock (Blackout) 
  • October 18 vs. Walton (Homecoming) (Whiteout) 
  • October 25 OFF 
  • November 1 vs. Lassiter (Camo) 
  • November 8 @ Roswell (Neon) 

I love the themes this year and how we have a variety of new ones and annual ones,” Blake Nash, freshman, said. 

Football season has officially begun, and every student is rushing to Dollar Tree Thursday evening to buy costume pieces for the next theme. Head to the store early to collect items because football kicks off August 23rd.