From the Big Apple to the Big Peach

McKenzie Spindler

More stories from McKenzie Spindler

Usually math teachers admit that in school, they never really were that good at the subject. The case is no different with Mike Vacca, one of Etowah’s new math teachers this year.

“I always had trouble with math in school, but I realized it was because I hadn’t been taught the right way to study and maximize my learning time in the classroom. I met a teacher who helped me out to realize I was actually good at math, once I applied those skills,” Vacca said.

Vacca brings this same thought to his classrooms, as he helps students with special needs find their strength in math. By focusing on the right way to study math, it helps make math a little easier.

“We were very complicated kids, my brothers and I, and I would see [my father] practicing his patience with us. He would show frustration, but never enough to make us not want to learn from him anymore, and I think I got that from my father,” Vacca said.

Choosing the path to help others in life, essentially what he is doing as a teacher, was inspired by his father. Growing up, his father was always trying to keep Vacca and his brothers on task, teaching them something in the process, and they never really felt like it was being pushed onto them, like a lecture. Therefore, Vacca takes that same approach to the classroom to help students find their full potential.

As a high school student Vacca spent most of his time skateboarding, and was even sponsored by a local skate shop as he went on to competitions. Vacca also picked up guitar, and played at shops in lower Manhattan at open mic nights.

“I made sure to have a little spot for myself where I keep the kids away from, my little man cave so to speak, and I keep my guitars and my amps in there,” Vacca said.

Vacca taught at North Cobb for 8 years, and was also a coach for the boys and girls tennis team.

Vacca is looking forward to what this new school year will have in store for him and his students.