The Ball rolled away

For the past seven years, Keith Ball has been our principal at Etowah High. His very first day here was nothing but chaotic. It began with almost half of the freshmen class’s files shredded and ended with a brick falling on his head!

Ball’s tenure at Etowah brought us from an average school with an outbreak of MRSA, and a crumbling bridge to having the top ACT and SAT scores and more AP classes than before.

“I feel like I’ve only been here for a hot minute,” said Ball during his last press conference.

He had trouble navigating the school when he started working here, so he put signs on the buildings and made maps, ensuring students and teachers should never get lost again.

“When I spoke with Ball, he was so motivating, and I could feel his passion; I wanted to work for him and with him,” said English teacher, Marsha Loversky.

Many of Etowah’s teachers came here because of Ball. He has almost completely turned Etowah around — in the best way. Because of that, more parents move their students to the Etowah school district.

Before Ball’s departure, at the spring pep rally, students made a slideshow of Ball, and he made a speech. Tearing up as he watched it, Ball could barely thank the student body, many crying along with him.

Ball took care of Etowah by listening to his students and giving them the opportunity to be the best that they can be.

“I’m not going to be responsible for other people, so that will be weird,” said Ball.

For the past seven years, taking care of everybody has become reality. Now that he has left, we mourn his departure, but are better for having known him.

Keith Ball has left a legacy, but through his staff and students, what he started here at Etowah should live on.