Architect to math teacher

Angel Beltran

More stories from Angel Beltran

Math is a subject that most people have strong feelings about. Whether it be hate or love, a math teacher must be there to help explain and solve the problem.

Taylor Beckham is one of Etowah’s new teachers, even though he did not start college with the plans of becoming an algebra teacher.

” I was an architecture major, and my math professor told me I should pursue a career in mathematics, so I thought teaching would be the best way to do that,” Beckham said.

Beckham changed his major during his freshman year of college. He liked the fact he could impact students lives by teaching. Beckham is also head coach for the softball and baseball JV teams, along with helping with the varsity teams.

“I came to Etowah because it a good school, to become a better teacher,” Beckham said.

Although Beckham has felt overwhelmed at some point by the school, he says the faculty at Etowah helps make it less overwhelming.

“There’s been some points where I’ve been overwhelmed, but for the most part, there’s lots of good facility here that help and make sure that you don’t get overwhelmed,” Beckham said.

“He’s very funny and sarcastic,” said Miya Anderson, freshman.

Beckham has a good relationship with his students. In fact, he had a discussion about how pointless he thinks Snapchat scores are. His students love to talk about and make fun of him when his favorite football team losses.